The attractions of advertisements for cheap motorbike insurance are obvious. There may though, be a few things worth thinking about when reading them;
- relevance – some advertisements make heavy use of asterisks and small print along the lines of indicating that the figures quoted are subject to status. That may indicate that the figures quoted in the ad are very much a best case scenario and may not be applicable in your individual circumstances;
- cheap motorbike insurance versus cover provided – in the event you are unfortunate enough to suffer a problem with your bike and need to make a claim, it may be safe to predict that you will not be worried at all about how much your insurance has cost you. What you will be focusing on is the detail of the cover provided by your policy, therefore, it might be a more appropriate approach to select your policy on that basis to begin with;
- terms and conditions – all insurance policies, of any type, will contain something recognisable as terms and conditions. These may effectively govern how easily or otherwise you might find it to make a claim in certain circumstances. It is extremely important that these are read carefully, whether or not the policy under consideration is considered to be cheap;
- exclusions – typically part of the terms and conditions, these are particularly worth looking out for. Cheap cover for someone else may not prove to be cheap for you if the exclusions in the policy effectively mean that in your situation and with your usage patterns, elements of the policy may simply not apply to you;
- comparisons – simply because a policy proclaims itself to be cheap may not necessarily mean that it is so. It might always be advisable to compare it to other options. For example, you may find that specialist multi bike insurance for a number of machines may prove to be more cost-attractive than several individual supposedly cheap policies;
- paying extra – some bike cover policies that major on their low-cost may have a relatively modest level of as-standard cover included. Other elements of cover may be chargeable as optional extras and by the time these are taken into account, such policies may no longer look to be like a prime definition of cheap motorbike insurance. It is typically advisable to allocate a few minutes to do some basic comparison sums when thinking about cheap motorbike policies!